Mark Tristan Cooper 073


Facebook-icon2 twitter-icon2 skype-icon2 Logo2 HLFNL_BLK





NLHG Newsletter Editor

John Cheshire

NLHG Newsletter




0642 Roger at Church farm


2013 2014 2015 2016

Happy New Year! It seems a long while since Ian Gledhill talked to us about Tram Cars back in November. As usual he gave an entertaining talk and showed some amazing photos. Going forward we have a varied programme for our monthly meetings in 2019.

Look forward to seeing you there!


Forthcoming Meetings: 7.30 in the Methodist Hall unless stated otherwise


January 17th 2019                             Newhaven Fort – Then and Now by Ian Everest

February 21st                                     Eastbourne Police & Eastbourne Murders by Kevin Gordon

March 21st                                         A Farmer Moving South a film show by John Bishop

April 18th                                            AGM     Medieval and Tudor English Cookery by Jan Black

May 16th                                            Bexhill in World War II by Dave Hatherell

June 20th                                           tba

July 18th                                            tba

August                                               No meeting - possible visit

Visit us in the Sparke Pavilion every Monday morning 10 to 12


Group Visit to The Keep: we are planning another visit to the East Sussex Records Office (The Keep) at Falmer, sometime in March 2019. Please get in touch with Corinne or John if you would like to join us, we will organize a car share. There will be a guided tour of the building and the collection and we will be shown how to access the records. The Keep holds a wealth of documents and maps that are not viewable on line. You can view what is in the collection at


Ninfield Cross Farm: on a recent visit to the keep I began looking into the history of Cross Farm (or Ninfield Cross Farm as it was known in the 1800s). In May 1883 the farm Landlord was Charles North a Land Agent living in Rougham in the County of Norfolk. Charles lived at Rougham Hall but was originally from Hastings.

A Lease Agreement was signed between Charles North and the new tenant, Isaac Whitmarsh. The previous tenant had been Reuben Holland. The rent was set at £42 per annum and at that time the farm comprised about 17 acres of arable and meadow land and included  the farm house, a butcher’s shop, slaughter house, pig pounds, a wagon lodge, a stable and cow shed.

Twenty five years later in 1908 Isaac was still the tenant but ownership of the land had transferred to Lord Brassey and a new Tenancy Agreement was drawn up between them in December of that year. The farm now comprised 18 acres and 24 perches and the rent was set at £37-10s.


Margaret Daffodil Cosgrave (Daff) a Ninfield resident of note.

She was born in Cheltenham in 1920 and read History at Oxford. She later followed a correspondence course in Law from the University of London. In 1950, after many years of legal work she became a judge and around this time she moved to Ninfield where her parents were based. Daff was the first female solicitor to be appointed a Recorder in 1975. After an illustrious career she retired in 1990 and took up a correspondence course in Theology which she passed with flying colours gaining a First!


Photos from the Archives





















Thanks to Jim Hoad for the newspaper cutting.


Group Contacts:

Rod Ffoulkes (Chair)  Tel: 893635, Anthony Gibbons (Treasurer) Tel: 892612, Jackie Cheshire (Secretary) Tel: 01323 833897  Corinne Gibbons (Membership) Tel: 892612, Jan Cooper (Archivist)  Tel: 893381, Janet Savage Tel: 892749, John Cheshire (Newsletter)  Tel: 892248, Jane Dommersen Tel 892428      



Also, find us on Facebook


Please note that from April 2017

the NLHG Newsletter will be published

                                         Bi Monthly


January 2019

2018 judge cosgrove