NLHG Newsletter Archive
This year’s AGM was well attended and the committee remains unchanged, a vote of thanks was given for all their hard work throughout the year. Our Treasurer reported that the group is in a very healthy financial situation with a substantial income of £530 from the sale of our publications. Our Local History Event last September raised almost £200.The Membership Secretary stated that we currently have 33 members plus a large contingent of regular visitors. One change will be that visitors will have to pay £3 to attend but membership fees remain the same at a very reasonable £10.After the reports we heard a talk by Kevin Gordon on the Lost Village of Tide Mills (between Seaford and Newhaven). Kevin is a curator of the excellent Seaford Museum and presented a well researched and engaging history of this important part of East Sussex industrial history. The Seaford Museum could be an idea venue for a summer group outing, watch this space!
Forthcoming meetings: 7.30pm in the Methodist Hall unless stated otherwise
May 21st 2015 Witches, Warlocks & Wellingtons by Dr Janet Pennington
June 18th 2015 Henry VIII a talk by Tony Harris
July 16th 2015 Oh We Do Like To Be Beside the Seaside! with Ian Gledhill
September 12th 2015 Exhibition at the Memorial Hall details to follow
September 17th 2015 Twittens & Cat Creeps in Hastings Old Town Clive Richardson
October 15th 2015 Sussex & the Napoleonic Wars by Helen Poole
November 19th 2015 A Sussex Farm During the 1950s with Ian Everest
December 17th 2015 Christmas Social tbc
Other Local Events
National Mills Weekend is on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th May. Windmill Hill, Polegate and Michelham will all be open so check the website for details http://www.sussexmillsgroup.org.uk/nmw.htm
Have you visited the Brede Steam Giants? Housed inside an original brick Pumping House these 9 metre high steam engines date back to 1904 and are similar to what would have been used at Hazards Green in Ninfield. Their open/operating days in May are Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th and Monday 25th. The site is in Waterworks Lane, Brede, TN31 6HG. The Bexhill Museum kick off the guided walks season on Sunday 10th May, 14:00 – 16:00 with:
'Stepping out to the Town Centre and a Nice Cuppa'. This walk takes a new look at the streets and features of the town centre. In conjunction with The Little British Tea Shop we offer the experience of being in premises that hark back to times past. We meet there, 16 St Leonards Road, where we shall take a mid-walk break. They are opening especially for us and will provide a cuppa for £1 and cake for £1.50.
The Methodist Church
The Ninfield Methodist Church (once known as the Christian Mission Hall) has undergone many changes over the years. At the end of the 1950s the original doorway was bricked up and a new porch added to the side of the building. The “Mission Hall” plaque above the original doorway was removed and a new plaque, depicting John Wesley preaching to the people, was commissioned. This was unveiled in January 1960. The foundation stone, laid in July 1871, was preserved in its original position, just left of the original doorway.
In 1930 the Trustees considered building a new Methodist Church, as the original building was in such a poor state. After several years looking at various sites they purchased a plot in 1937. The new church was to be built at the south end of the Dance Meadow. This was a field on the left-hand side of the main road, just past Church Lane. The Trustees decided to sell this plot in 1941 because it was not possible to raise sufficient funds to build a new Church.
In July 1944 extensive repairs were needed when the Methodist Church suffered bomb damage.
In 1950 the subject of rebuilding the church was raised again. This time the idea was to either buy a plot north-west of the Memorial Hall or purchase land adjoining the original building. This idea was still being discussed at late as 1958, when it was decided to renovate the existing building instead. (Liz)
From the Minutes of the Band of Hope & Gospel Temperance Society on 24th October 1898 “ Mr William Roberts was the President, Henry Deeprose was General Secretary and Mr Rufus was the Treasurer. Other committee members include Mr Stonestreet, Mrs Deeprose, Mr Spray, Mrs Mitchell, Edward Cramp, Mr Akehurst. Mrs G Kemp and Rufus Mitchell were invited on to the committee”.
As with all the buildings of Ninfield NLHG is collecting information about their history. Let us know if you have any interesting stories.
Rod Ffoulkes (Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 893635, Janice Wood (Secretary) & Martin Wood (Treasurer) email@example.com Tel: 892895, Corinne Gibbons (Membership) firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 892612, Jan Cooper (Archivist) email@example.com Tel: 893381, Liz Darbyshire firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 893575, Janet Savage email@example.com Tel: 892749, John Cheshire (Newsletter) firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 892248.