The village of Ninfield covers an area of about one and a half miles north to south, and two miles from east to west. From Marlpits Lane to the north. Lower Street and Russells Green to the south. Boreham Bridge on the west border, and along the Bexhill Road to the East. Although this is a large area, Ninfield is still very much a village.
There are many theories of how it's name evolved. Some say it was named after the nine fields it was thought to have originally composed of. There have been many different spellings over the years. In the 11th Century it was Nerewelle. Then Nymenfeld in the 13th Century. By the 14th Century it was called Nemefeld which turned into Nenfield by the 17th Century, until the present day Ninfield emerged sometime in the 19th Century.
Just how true the story is of Ninfield's part in connection with William the Conqueror having planted his Standard here before the Battle of Hastings, no one knows. But the hill which became Standard Hill is only 6 miles south of the battle site. Being 200ft above sea level it is the nearest high ground affording wide views.
Robert de Crevequer in the 13th Century, is the first recorded owner of the manor house then known as Morehale. This old house Moor Hall survived many changes over the years until it succumbed to the developers in the 1990's when it was demolished.
The main road through the village after 1766 was a turnpike. A toll was charged to help pay for the upkeep of the road. The toll gate and Paygate Cottage, now demolished, was located at the cross roads opposite the then Commercial House, (Kings Arms) an Inn for the stagecoaches.
Like most rural villages, the inhabitants worked the land of the many farms. SEE FARMS
Before widespread transportation, goods and services had to be sought locally. During the Victorian period many shops and businesses had sprung up to support the self-sufficient community. Having at one time over twenty.
Today Ninfield has a population of some 1600. It is within the Wealden District Council. Of the once many shops, it now has one Village Stores and a Post Office.