Mark Tristan Cooper 073

 

Facebook-icon2 twitter-icon2 skype-icon2 Logo2 HLFNL_BLK

 

 

 

 

FARMS of NINFIELD

INGRAMS FARM..

 

Ingrams Farm is first noted in 1261 and probably named after its owner. In 1264 a Robert and Andrew were named as jurors in an inquisition in Ninfield. They also appear in the Subsidy Roll of 1296

 

The farm was spelt Ingrahams in the 15th Century and as Yngrams by the 16th Century. It became a manor in 1458. Will Ingrams in 1475 owned 60 acres  A  new owner by 1571 was Gregory Fiennes  and the farm became part of the Herstmonceux Estates. Ingrams Farm was purchased in 1776 by Isaac Landsell for the princely sum of £1600

 

It was next recorded in 1841 as having Sir P. P. Acland as the owner. Sir Acland was a landowner of large tracts of local land during this period. John and Barbara Waters with their twins Benjamin and Rebecca rented 180 acres of both Ingrams and the farm next to it Messens Farms in 1841. By the time The Brassey family from Normanhurst in Catsfield took over the ownership, the combined acreage had grown to 281

 

There was a Thomas Cook as the tenant farmer in 1871 then the father and son Frederick and Charles Crisford were the tenants of both farms in 1891. A new wing was added to Ingrams farmhouse sometime in the 19th Century.

1950's it was Mrs & Mrs Harwood farming here.

 

tn (1) Logo2

Ninfield Farms

IngramsFarm HollisFarm

HOLLIS STREET FARM

 

John de Holstrete named in Edward III 1312-21 Roll of Taxpayers is the likely first owner of the farmstead which has been known also as 'The Hollies' and has been  Hollies Street Farm.

 

The property had been held in the Samson family for many years passing to a kinsman Richard King subsequently called Richard King Samson.

1841 James Tutt is the tenant farmer

 

A bequest from an uncle in 1889 gave a young 9 year old Giles Gilbert Scott, ownership of Hollis Street Farm, with a life tenancy to his mother Ellen Scott nee King Samson.

 

Richard, son of Giles G Scott sold the farm in 1999 . Much of the land was farmed by the neighbouring Pashley Farm.  Part of the big barn was converted to a dwelling. The farmhouse is now a separate private house.

 

 

 

 

Millers Farm

MILLERS FARM

 

information to follow

messens farm

MESSENS FARM

 

Thomas Blackman Jr inherited Messens Farm from his father Phillip Blackman in 1724. in his will Phillip lists an orchard, barns, buildings and a Hop Garden. The farmhouse is believed to date from an earlier period than this. The farm next passed to Thomas' son Phillip. The Landowner of large amounts of local land, John Fuller Esq is the owner by 1759

 

In the 1800's Messens Farm was bought by the Brassey  family who also owned Ingrams Farm next to it. Frederick Crisford was the tenant farmer in 1891 who with his son Charles farmed both Messens and Ingrams Farms.

 

 

ABOUT 1900A

PASHLEY FARM

 

It is unclear as to when the Farm was first established. The Farmhouse is listed and possibly dates from before the 1600's.

 

Four generations of the Soane family lived at Pashley Farm. Will Soane in 1635, then John Soane in 1636 followed by Obadiah Soane in 1692. Finally John and his brother William in 1702 until 1742.

 

Richard Waters is the tenant farmer in 1745 when in 1891 Amos Windborne is named.

 

Land belonging to the nearby Hollis Street farm was rented by Pashley farm and a long association with the Pilbeam family of farmers began from the mid 19th Century.

 

 

CHURCH FARM

 

The Farmhouse at Church Farm was built in the early 1800's as was the Oasthouse and Granary. Coming under Ashburnham at the time, it was part of the Ashburnham Estate. By 1891 a Mr Edward Hobden was the Farmer.

 

Prier to the ownership by Mr Constance, the owner was Mr Watson who lived and worked Upper Standard Hill Farm  

During the 1940's when Church Farm was owned by Mr Constance, he also had Holmes Farm in Whydown. A Mr Sharp was a carter there, and moved from Holmes Farm  to Church Farm with his family in the early 1950's. By then, Church Farm had about a hundred and five acres in hand. A son, Roger Sharp, left the farm when in 1978  the land was sold off by the then owner Mr Ainslie and the buildings converted to dwellings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright Frances Bertha Reynolds

and licensed for reuse.

Lower Standard Hill Farm 1938

LOWER STANDARD HILL FARM

 

Thomas Luxford was in 1635 the owner of a dwelling & four buildings.

His son George Luxford built a new house in 1702    

John Noakes was the tenant farmer in1702 until his death in 1720. Farming 214 acers

 

John Mepham took up the tenancy some time after until his death in 1754. In 1790 there appears to be a William Marchant in occupation and then another John Mepham (son of?) in 1793. It was around this time that the Ashburnham Estate acquired ownership. The next tenant farmer was William Butcher in 1807 followed by Jeffrey Brittan 1815 then Francis Tapsell 1826.

 

A Mrs Elizabeth Goldsmith is described as being a tenant in 1836 . She was the largest farmer in Ninfield, having 358 acres. She was followed soon after in 1850 by Mr Richard Ratcliff. After Mr Ratcliff, the Estate ran the farm until a Mr Silvester took up the tenancy.

 

The new Century saw Uriah Barden farming here, then his son Jim. From 1926-1958 the tenancy was held by Mr G. Hagues after which Mr C.L.Langdon took over for a year before in 1959 Mr S.D.Cooms became the tenant.

 

John, a grandson of the Barden family followed after that.

 

In 1973 the large handsome farmhouse was sold off from the farm along with 41/2 acres and stables, and changed it's name to Luxford House. See Buildings

 

Lower Standard Hill Farm is still a working farm.

 

 

moor hall farm

MOOR HALL FARM

 

The ancient manor of Moor Hall and its farm was by 1693 held by Trustees of the will of William Warroll. The large farm and its lands were rented to various Farmers in the vicinity until 1926

 

In 1820 the Estate still in the hands of the Trustees had 299 acres under the farm tenancy  of the Boniface family. Charles Boniface, then Sarah in 1835 followed by John Boniface from 1840 -1845 after which the Farm and the manor  house of Moor Hall were separated.

 

Moor Hall Farm continued independently under the tenancy of the Sampson family in 1881 the acreage had grown to 440

 

 

Click on photos to enlarge

Photos below of Pashley Farm

akehurst-oast

© Oast House Archive

Photos kindly supplied by Geograph

standard hill farm thorne-oast-farm

UPPER STANDARD HILL FARM

 

The farm at Standard Hill House was one of three farms along Standard Hill. On the opposite side of the road  was Lower Standard Hill Farm. Little Standard Hill Farm sat on the south side further down the hill.

The house and farm were sold to Thomas Luxford in 1657.  In the will of George Luxford of Hellingly, 'Standard Farm' and lands passed to his wife Rachel.

 

A Mr  B. Walker is listed as the tenant farmer in 1702. Then in 1837 Henry Crisford a tenant farmer of 280 acres appears.

 

John King is the owner 1841 with R Watson in 1891

 

Little is known of the following years except a bill of sale in 1962 for both farm and house, but during the 1970.s the farm buildings were sold off and converted into residential dwellings now known as Millers Mews

 

 

AKEHURST FARM

 

information to follow

THORNE FARM

 

information to follow

Photos below of

New House Farm

cross farm 1930s 52

CROSS FARM

 

This small farm dates to around 1794. A family called Hyland owned it from 1800-1825 and must have been the sauce of the name Late Hylands which appears on the 1841 Tithe map. At this time it was owned by Gloster Wilson Esq. and had Reuben Holland as the tenant of a house and 6 acres. He was a butcher and used the land for his cattle.

 

Isaac and Betty Whitmarsh ran a smallholding here during the early 1900's

 

 

NEW HOUSE FARM

 

 

WHITE HOUSE FARM

 

information to follow

TanyardHouse 2

TANYARD FARM

 

A farm adjoining the old Tannery probably dating back to the 16th Century.  A Gideon Noakes is listed as the farmer in 1891

COOMBE HILL FARM

 

There is a Deed of 1610 which states that there was a house and new watermill & 5 acres at Coombe Hill Farm. But the watermill was gone by 1817.

 

Some time after 1775 when a Mr Waters was farming there, it became part of the Ashburnham Estate. In 1851 a tenant farmer called Charles Collins was farming 94 acres at Coombe Hill Farm. It had dropped to 60 acres by the time Levi Lemmon was farming here in 1881.

 

Milk was sold by the gallon and collected from the farm by the villagers during Mr Harwood's days here in the first half of the 20th Century

 

6

Photos below of

Church Farm

church farm

Hop Picking in Ninfield

information to follow

New House Farm